The Leningradsky Railway Station is the oldest railway station in Moscow. In February 1842 Emperor Nicolas I signed a decree to build a railroad between St. Petersburg and Moscow Russias first major railroad. Railway stations in Moscow and St. Petersburg were built according to the same design by outstanding architect Konstantin Ton. He certainly had enough experience, having designed the St. Catherine Church in Tsarskoye Selo (has not survived), the Christ the Savior Cathedral and the Great KremlinPalace in Moscow.
A wasteland near the Kalanchevskoye Field, far from residential buildings, was chosen as the site for the new railway station. Construction was completed in 1849, and the railway station was a precise copy of the Moskovsky Railway Station in St. Petersburg. The building was beautifully decorated from the inside, especially the apartments for the royal family. A loading dock was added to the railway station building from the side of the railway tracks (architect Rudolf Zhelyazevich). The railway complex also included the Moscow Customs House (1852), which Ton designed in the business style. The first train arrived from St. Petersburg in Moscow on August 3, 1851.
In 1855, the St. Petersburg-Moscow Railway was renamed Nikolayevskaya, and the railway station changed its name accordingly. A year later it was renamed Leningradsky Railway Station, as the city was named Leningrad to honour Vladimir Lenin.
The railway station was reconstructed several times throughout the 20th century: premises were enlarged and the number of services increased. The facade overlooking Komsomolskaya Square is the only part of the original building that remained unchanged. A three-story left wing was added to the building to house a hotel, a waiting room for passengers, a medical center and other services; the lower and upper ticket halls appeared. A spacious grand hall replaced the old loading dock. The railway station was linked to metro stations via underground passages.
The Leningrad Railway Station continues to develop, extending the range of its services for passengers.
Railway station plan
3 Komsomolskaya Square (Three Station Square)
Komsomolskaya metro station
+ 7 (495) 262-9143 (tel./fax)
Find on map
Over 40 long-distance trains arrive and leave from the Leningradsky Railway Station daily,among them ER200 high-speed electric trains, as well as more than 100 commuter trains. Passenger trains are bound for northern and north-western destinations in Russia and the CIS, and for international destinations.
The Leningrad Railway Station connects Moscow to St. Petersburg, Petrozavodsk, Murmansk, Tallinn, Helsinki, etc. The named trains Red Arrow, Aurora, and Russkaya Troika operate between Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Commuter trains go from Moscow to Khimki, Skhodnya, Zelenograd, Solnechnogorsk, Klin, Konakovo, and Tver.
Commuter train stations
The Leningrad Railway Station offers a full range of services to passengers. There are lower and upper ticket halls (the entrance to the upper ticket hall, combined with the waiting room, is located at the end of the first hall, to the left of the clock).
Having passed the first lower ticket hall, passengers arrive in the second hall, where kiosks are located on both sides and travelers can buy food, magazines, newspapers, souvenirs and medicines, have a snack at a local café, and buy luggage items.
There are also luggage rooms, a childcare room, and other passenger services. The Moskovskaya department store is located on the square just opposite the railway station (9 m. 9 p.m.)
Useful links and telephone numbers